What on Earth is a ...

[Sticky] What on Earth is a Hedge Hippy?  

RSS
Emma
 Emma
(@emma)
Environmentalist Admin

The neo-pagan religions (such as wicca and druidism) centre around groups coming together for spiritual celebrations; druids have groves and witches and wizards have covens. But there have always been people who - through circumstance or inclination - do not join a group, but follow a solitary spiritual path. In paganism, they are given the prefix ‘Hedge’ - so solitary practitioners are Hedge witches or Hedge druids.

Whilst I have dipped my toe into pagan waters, I have found that these paths are not for me. My spiritual philosophy is quite simple:

We are a part of nature, not apart from it.

The name hippy (or hippie) was given to members of a counter-cultural youth movement that began in the 1960s. These new bohemians - socially unconventional in an artistic way - rebelled against convention and authority, rejecting materialism, racism, sexism, and elitism. They promoted altruism and mysticism, honesty, joy and non violence.

In the 60s, the hippie movement played out in huge festivals and love-ins, with groups of people living communally, involved in large protests and group activism, but even at the time there would have been people who believed in the ideals but walked a more solitary path.

And so I am coining a new term - Hedge Hippies - for those of us who have turned away from mainstream culture to something more eco-friendly, tolerant and inclusive, gently spiritual and down-to-earth. I am a Hedge Hippy - wanna join me?

Posted : 29th May 2019 5:32 pm
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register