I was lucky enough to spend a lot of this long weekend in the garden. Not Friday, Friday was too hot. My gardening activities were confined to sowing my wild edible plant mix. I originally thought I’d separate the different types of seeds; once I saw the mix, I decided against it!
It should contain:
Leaves for Cooking: Charlock, Chickweed, Common Bistort, Common Comfrey, Common Mallow, Common Orache, Common Sorrel, Fat-hen, Garlic Mustard, Good King Henry, Greater Plantain, Red Clover, Red Valerian, Sea-beet, Yellow Rocket.
Stems for Cooking: Alexanders, Lesser Burdock, Milk Thistle, Sea kale.
Roots for Cooking: Goat’s beard, Lesser Burdock, Marsh-mallow, Pignut (to be eaten raw), Sea Holly, Wild Carrot, Wild Parsnip.
(You may be surprised to find common comfrey on that list; read Monica Wilde on Is comfrey edible? for more information.)
On Saturday, my plants arrived from Lubera. Since I’m geeky, I love the way the scientific names are included on the delivery note:
We unpacked the plants, watered them and set them outside for some fresh air and sunlight, and then Ryan set to work on building a frame for the espalier apple (RedLove Calypso). He used some poles that used to be part of my fruit cage.
The apple is just tied loosely into the support, while I look up how to espalier an apple 😉
The next plant to find a home was the tiger nut (chufa, Cyperus esculentus) ‘White Coconut‘. I have to say, it looked much healthier on arrival than the Rob Smith ones did at the garden centre over the weekend! It likes damp soil, so I’ve put it in a pot inside a pot, and it will sit in front of the raised beds. I have six of these ‘outer’ pots, 3 red and 3 purple. I call them my ‘hot swap‘ pots, because the idea behind them is that I can use them to display plants that are looking their best or are new and exciting 🙂
The passionfruit ‘Eia Popeia’ doesn’t look very impressive at the moment, but the reason it’s fully hardy is that it dies right back during the winter and comes into growth quite late in the spring – so it’s just getting started. It has a permanent home in the front garden, with a trellis to clamber up.
It’s unusual for me to plant things out so quickly, so I’m impressed that three plants have found their homes already! But the others will have to wait a bit longer.
And the last plant is a Meyer lemon, which will need a permanent container. It’s absolutely covered in baby fruit:
I explained my choices over on the Lubera UK blog earlier in the year. It was really hard to narrow down what I wanted, but I didn’t have much space left! I’m really looking forward to seeing how these fruits develop over the next few years 🙂