I found some time (and a blackbird-free window!) to spend in the garden yesterday afternoon. After pottering around looking after my seedlings, and repotting my salmonberry, I had to do some watering. April has been uncharacteristically dry, I don’t think we’ve had any rain to speak of this month. Everything in a raised bed is doing OK, but things in containers were starting to wilt.
Then I had some jobs to do in the front garden. A horse chestnut seedling had appeared in one of the planters beds, so I dug that up and potted it separately – Ryan is trying to bonsai one!
The wild comfrey that lives next to the front door is in flower at the moment, and I am leaving it (and the dandelions!) for the bees.
The ice peach has finished flowering, and created pink petal confetti over the front path for a few days. But it had started flowering, with white flowers, from shoots coming out of the rootstock. (A quick search suggests that the rootstock is Rootpac-20, a plum tree hybrid (Prunus besseyi x Prunus cerasifera)). These shoots have to be removed, or growth from the rootstock will overtake the peach in time and leave me with a plum! So I have pruned them out.
When I planted up the front garden last year, I included a couple of yarrow plants that I’d rescued from the ‘lawn’ before we started building the back garden. I added them in because I like their feathery foliage, but it has proved to be a mistake. They grew quite large, and overshadowed some of the Chilean guavas, and now they have spread – both by seeds and by creeping stems (stolons). I have weeded them out as best I can; I suspect it is one of those jobs that will have to be done in batches.
This blog post was written by Emma Cooper and was published on The Unconventional Gardener website. If you're reading it elsewhere you may want to navigate away from plagiarised content.