Hurricane Barney battered the garden a bit last week, but it seems to have withstood the weather 🙂 This is due, in part, to the nice new (and hefty!) hinges that Ryan and his dad have put on the garden gate. The old latch had deteriorated to the point where it was impossible to shut the gate without three hands – now I only need one, which is wonderful.
The edible dahlias were still in flower, with new buds growing, but they’d been badly flattened by the wind so I decided it was time for them to come out. We have enjoyed their flowers all summer, as have all the visitors to the garden. They were lovely, in a range of colours, and some flowers as big as a dinner plate! I’d definitely grow them again on that basis, although I have learned some lessons about spacing and staking to take into account next year. I have lifted the roots and popped them in the shed for now – we need to think about some cooking experiments to see whether we agree that they’re worth eating. The top growth filled a couple of plastic trugs, and has made a great late-season addition to the compost heap, with a mix of green and woody material that is a recipe for Detritvore’s Delight 🙂
I quickly (the cold wind was biting!) replanted the empty bed with the garlic that has been waiting in the wings. I divided the bed into four quarters. One was planted with Red Donetsk, and I intended to plant two with Solent Wight, for which I had two bulbs. But they weren’t very good quality and had started to rot, so I planted the remaining cloves in one square. That left two free, which I have planted with five cloves of elephant garlic – hopefully it can make good use of the extra space!
That just leaves the second half of the shallots to be planted when I can lift the oca.
We had the first frost in the garden overnight – and it was quite a hard one – so the oca looks a little sorry for itself this morning. This is a good thing – the harvest clock is now ticking. In a couple of weeks I can lift the oca and see what I’ve got, and plant the rest of the shallots.
In the meantime, I need to find some time to remove the nasturtiums from the perennial beds, as they were the main casualty of the cold weather. I’m quite excited that the season is now moving on, but I never got around to making nasturtium leaf pesto! Still, there’s always next year….